Friday, January 07, 2022
And the 2021 RMC Award winners are...
2021 SA & NT Rural Media and Communicators Awards
The 2021 awards on Friday 10th December promised to be a night not to miss and it delivered.
Hosted by President Leigh Radford and Vice President Prue Adams, the event was a wonderful celebration of rural storytelling in South Australia and the Northern Territory.
Among the many guests were Primary Industries Minister David Basham and family, Shadow Primary Industries Clare Scriven and RMC major sponsor Rural Business Support CEO Brett Smith.
Big names and new names among award winners
ABC Landline Reporter Kerry Staight was named RMC SA/NT Journalist of the Year and Freelance photographer Matt Turner was awarded RMC SA/NT Rural Photographer of the year.
Kerry is a multi award winner on the local, national and international stage. She has worked for Landline since 2008 and has been a presenter and producer on Behind the News and George Negus Tonight, as well as working as a reporter and newsreader for Central Television and Network Ten.
Matt studied his grandfather’s National Geographic magazines from a very early age, dreaming that one day he could possibly become a photographer. He spent a decade and a half working for News Corp but is currently a freelancer in SA and still living the dream.
RMC also launched two new award categories in 2021 to recognise the evolution of media and communications:
Rural Social Influencer of the year went to Mel McGorman from DKT Pastoral who did an outstanding job promoting primary production, specifically the red meat industry, throughout Australia in 2021.
Best Rural Communicator Award was awarded to Emily Buddle (formerly with Animal Health Australia) and Pene Keynes (Livestock SA) who together delivered an innovative communication package of biosecurity information for the red meat and wool sectors in the state.
See all the photos on our Gallery page.
Full list of categories and winners
* Rural Journalist of the Year & Best Rural Journalist - Video / Television | Kerry Staight, ABC Landline
* Rural Photographer of the Year & Best Rural Photographer Award - People | Matt Turner, Freelance photographer
* Rural Social Influencer of the Year | Mel McGorman, DKT Pastoral
* Rural Communicator of the Year | Emily Buddle, formerly Animal Health Australia and Penny Keynes, Livestock SA
* Best Rural Photographer Award - Nature, Landscapes and Rural Scenes | Jacqui Bateman, Jacqui Bateman Photography
* Best Rural Photographer Award - Production | Elisa Rose, The Courier
* Best Rural Photo Journalist Award | Bec Whetham, ABC Reporter, Mount Gambier
* Best Rural Journalist - Print | Michelle Etheridge, The Advertiser
* Best Rural Journalist - Regional Print | Eliza Berlage, Naracoorte Community News
* Best Rural Journalist - Audio / Radio | Hugo Rikard-Bell, ABC Rural Reporter, Alice Springs
* Best Rural Journalist - Digital / Online | Matt Brann, ABC Country Hour Presenter NT, Darwin
Thank you to those who attended and CONGRATULATIONS to all the 2021 winners!